QEEG “Brain Mapping” is an assessment tool that provides an evidence base to guide your individualized training needs.
Quantitative EEG assessment records EEG from multiple scalp electrodes, under eyes open, eyes closed, and task conditions. The process is painless, and takes about 90 minutes from start to finish,depending on task conditions you participate in.
EEG can be used in many ways. in clinical QEEG, your recording is compared to a database of thousands of “typical” brains. All QEEG recordings are inspected to rule out dramatic pathology, and identify patterns that diverge from typical. The QEEG produces map that shows how your brain may be unusual across EEG frequencies (speed, power, and distribution), connectivity patterns, how your brain changes state and performs under task.
This information helps identify functional issues and helps target your goals for improved brain performance.
At Alternatives Brain Institute we encourage every client to start with a QEEG and perform another after 30 sessions of neurofeedback. Most of our training packages include two QEEGs, to show you changes you have made from your 3 month or 6 month program.
QEEG recording and interpretation may also be performed for other neurofeedback practitioners or at the request of your medical professional.
What to expect when you have your QEEG recorded:
- The night before or morning of your QEEG recording, wash your hair twice and rinse very well. AVOID CONDITIONER and shampoos with conditioner or “creme” rinse. The waxes in those products make it very hard to get a good EEG signal.
- Your hair will get a bit goopy, as we will be pasting (24) little metal electrodes onto your scalp, for 15-20 minutes.
- You will then sit still with eyes open and eyes closed for several minutes, and perform any measurement tasks to be used in the QEEG. It might be boring, but won’t hurt.
- The electrodes are “passive” and only measuring – we are not “zapping” you!
- The gel or paste from the electrodes will easily wash out of your hair afterwards.
- PLEASE AVOID CAFFEINE the morning before and ideally 18 hours before your QEEG. Otherwise don’t do anything differently (eating or sleeping habits).
- Please discuss any medications you are on with us before scheduling your QEEG.